Sunday 26 January 2014

The British Library, St Pancras & A Walk Along the Thames

This week's Nice Day Out started out at the British Library.


 

It was just a short visit - just time to have a quick look round and check out an exhibition I was interested in about childrens book illustrations. I definitely need to remember to come back here for a longer visit because mmm... so many lovely books...

Right next to the British Library is St Pancras station & hotel, famous for its Victorian architecture:

 

Pretty fancy, huh?

Then I got the Tube to St Pauls...

 

... walked across the Millennium Bridge...

 

... and went to Tate Modern to meet the lovely Laura from LauraFallulah. I've known Laura for years online, through Etsy etc, it was really nice to finally meet up for a proper chat! 

 

After a cuppa and a bite to eat at the Tate, we went next door to the Bankside Gallery:

 


There was a lovely exhibition of small prints and paintings on when we visited, including some prints by Angie Lewin whose work I've only ever seen before in reproductions as notecards, etc. The shop here has a great selection of notecards and other nice bits and pieces, it's definitely on my list for future birthday-card buying!

Then we went for a walk along the Thames, down to the Westminster Bridge and then back along the other side of the river before having another cuppa and heading homewards.

 



It was a bit of a grey day as you can see from the photos, but not too cold and it didn't rain once, hurrah!

4 comments:

Jacqui Wise said...

Looks like a good day out and you managed to fit a lot in! I've never been to the Bankside Gallery so will have to pay a visit next time I go to the Tate. I love Angie Lewin's work. I visited her small gallery in Norfolk a few years ago and saw some original work. Can't afford the real thing but have loads of her printed cards which I shall get around to framing one day.

Bugs and Fishes said...

I do try to make the most of my days out - not least because the price of the trainfare to places like London = not cheap!

Angie Lewin's work is indeed very lovely! The Bankside Gallery exhibits lots of work by printmakers, I'm rather looking forward to seeing the upcoming Society of Wood Engravers exhibition.

bairozan said...

I am so tempted to make my own "days out", such a shame we mostly go sightseeing in out own city when we have visitors from the country or abroad!

Bugs and Fishes said...

You should! It's a lot of fun being a "tourist" in your own area :)