Saturday 1 January 2011

Crafty Resolutions for 2011

Happy New Year!

We saw the new year in very quietly - I was actually sitting on the sofa knitting when the clock hit twelve... start as you mean to go on, eh?

This time last year I made a New Year's Resolution to "maintain a balance between my crafty life and my crafty business" and I've worked really hard to keep it, though to be honest I've not always succeeded!

I'm going to be trying to keeping up that balance this year, and I'm also making two more crafty resolutions... to spend less time on the computer, and also to finish a couple of large crafty projects that have been languishing under the spare bed for years.

Running an online shop, with customers in different timezones it can sometimes be really hard to switch off the computer, or to leave those emails until tomorrow. The internet (wonderful as it is) is also full of time wasting distractions when I'm feeling lazy, and far far too many amazing talented people making amazing fantastic things when I'm feeling full of self-doubt.

Basically, I just need to turn off the computer more, and make things instead!

I've got a big to do list of things I want to make this year, but I'm also determined to make stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with work, and have a crafty project to help me relax like I did when this was just a hobby...

And lo, when I was tidying the spare room, what did I find? A box containing two small bags of blanket squares and one pile of little fabric squares cut out for a quilt many years ago. Perfect!

Two blankets to knit and a quilt to sew will keep me busy for ages (not least because I don't own a sewing machine so I'll be sewing the quilt by hand!). I'll take some photos soon so you can see what I'm working on :)

Have you made any crafty resolutions for this year?

9 comments:

frou-frou said...

Happy New Year to you! My resolutions are pretty much like yours, and those of most other crafty folks - make more!!! I agree that the computer takes up so much time. I don''t know if I can switch off more. Maybe I'll try that too now and then.

Hsve a healthy and happy and creative year!! Fiona xx

This is My Life said...

Turn off the computer more is my goal too. I am going to sign in the morning and evening. Hope we both are successful.

Cate said...

I can't believe you don't own a sewing machine?!? Even I have one and I'm a total craft nuffnuff!!

Most of my resolutions are to make sure I remember *me* this year - but craft is always on that radar, just because it is so much fun :-)

Good luck with those blankets - can't wait to see them
xxxCate

Ellouise88 said...

Snap! I was knitting when the clocks struck midnight as well. More craft, more cake, more chocolate; may as well make some resolutions I might be able to keep!

Charlotte Hupfield Ceramics said...

Have just enjoyed reading your review of 2010! Sewing that blanket by hand is going to be a big job, but will be well worth it at the end! Happy new year :)

hanga said...

i would like to make different kind of crafts (as i do usually) for a living. (unfortunately my latest job ended on the 30th of dec. - just like a "hit" from God: hey, move on, this wasn't for you, find your new ways..)

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Laura - great resolutions love Annie x

Nic said...

Happy New Year!
My resolutions sound about the same as yours. It is scary how much time you(I!) can waste on the Internet, answering one last email before getting on with things.
Thank you also for introducing me to Homesense!! I went to York with my friend today and we spent 3 hrs in there!!

www.daisyleyboxes.co.uk said...

Oh internet distractions - yes I must not get so distracted this year! As my personal resolutions are always the same ... lose some weight and get fit ... I decided to make some more meaningful resolutions this year to do with my business and I just hope I'll keep them.